Peter Wayne, PhD, is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, the founder and director of the Tree of Life Tai Chi Center, and Research …
Resveratrol is naturally produced from several plants – especially the roots of the Japanese Knotweed.
- Resveratrol is naturally produced from several plants – especially the roots of the Japanese Knotweed
- Resveratrol is found in the skin of red grapes and in other fruits as well as in the roots of Japanese knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum). Red wine contains very little of it, however, on the order of 0.1‐14.3 mg/l.[12
- Studies in use and benefits of resveratrol: life extension; cardioprotective effects; antidiabetic effects; neuroprotective effects; anti‐inflammatory effects; anti‐viral effects; effects on testosterone levels; similarities to chemotherapeutic anticancer drugs, such as etoposide and doxorubicin.
- reported to be effective against neuronal cell dysfunction and cell death, and, in theory, could be effective against diseases such as Huntington’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease.[154
- Research at the Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and Ohio State University indicated resveratrol has direct inhibitory action on cardiac fibroblasts, and may inhibit the progression of cardiac fibrosis.
Content in selected foods
|Serving||Total resveratrol (mg)|
|Peanuts (raw)||1 c (146 g)||0.01 – 0.26|
|Peanuts (boiled)||1 c (180 g)||0.32 – 1.28|
|Peanut butter||1 c (258 g)||0.04 – 0.13|
|Red grapes||1 c (160 g)||0.24 – 1.25|
|Cocoa powder||1 c (200 g)||0.28 – 0.46|
- Resveratrol helps reduce inflammation, prevents the oxidation of LDL “bad” cholesterol, and makes it more difficult for platelets to stick together and form the clots that can lead to a heart attack.
- Resveratrol helps prevent insulin resistance
- Drug interaction studies with resveratrol have not been conducted.
- People undergoing surgery should stop taking resveratrol two weeks before the surgery and not take it for two weeks after the surgery to reduce the risk of bleeding.
- Adverse effects of resveratrol in humans have not been reported.
- CBS News on Reveratrol
- Resveratrol Animation | The Dr. Oz Show – DoctorOz.com
Go Now to the most complete supplement available with Resveratrol.
Does Probiotics really provide any health benefits?
The following information on Probiotics is from Wikipedia:
- live microorganisms that may confer a health benefit on the host.
- Etymologically, the term appears to be a composite of the Latin preposition pro (“for”) and the Greek adjective βιωτικός (biotic), the latter deriving from the noun βίος (bios, “life”).[8
- Probiotics are commonly consumed as part of fermented foods with specially added active live cultures, such as in yogurt, soy yogurt, or as dietary supplements.
- When a person takes antibiotics, both the harmful bacteria and the beneficial bacteria are killed. A reduction of beneficial bacteria can lead to digestive problems, such as diarrhea, yeast infections and urinary tract infections.
- The normal human digestive tract contains about 400 types of probiotic bacteria that reduce the growth of harmful bacteria and promote a healthy digestive system.
- Many people use probiotics to prevent diarrhea, gas, and cramping caused by antibiotics.
Although they are still being studied, probiotics may help several specific illnesses, studies show. In 2011, experts at Yale University reviewed the research. They concluded that probiotics are most effective for:
- Treating childhood diarrhea
- Treating ulcerative colitis
- Treating necrotizing enterocolitis, a type of infection and inflammation of the intestines mostly seen in infants
- Preventing antibiotic-associated diarrhea and infectious diarrhea
- Preventing pouchitis, an inflammation of the intestines that can follow intestinal surgery
- Treating and preventing eczema associated with cow’s milk allergy
- Helping the immune system
The Yale University panel of experts concluded that probiotics may be helpful in other ways, although the evidence is less convincing. These include:
- Treating symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
- Treating vaginitis
- Treating diarrhea caused by C. difficile bacteria
- Treating Crohn’s disease
We Recommend: 10 Formulas In One Chewable
The following information on Antioxidants is from Wikipedia:
“An antioxidant is a molecule that inhibits the oxidation of other molecules. Oxidation is a chemical reaction that transfers electrons or hydrogen from a substance to an oxidizing agent. Oxidation reactions can produce free radicals. In turn, these radicals can start chain reactions. When the chain reaction occurs in a cell, it can cause damage or death to the cell. Antioxidants terminate these chain reactions by removing free radical intermediates, and inhibit other oxidation reactions. They do this by being oxidized themselves, so antioxidants are often reducing agents such as thiols, ascorbic acid, or polyphenols. Antioxidants are widely used in dietary supplements and have been investigated for the prevention of diseases such as cancer, coronary heart disease and even altitude sickness.”
Antioxidants are classified into two broad divisions, depending on whether they are soluble in water (hydrophilic) or in lipids (hydrophobic). In general, water-soluble antioxidants react with oxidants in the cell cytosol and the blood plasma, while lipid-soluble antioxidants protect cell membranes from lipid peroxidation. These compounds may be synthesized in the body or obtained from the diet. The different antioxidants are present at a wide range of concentrations in body fluids and tissues, with some such as glutathione or ubiquinone mostly present within cells, while others such as uric acid are more evenly distributed (see table below). Some antioxidants are only found in a few organisms and these compounds can be important in pathogens and can be virulence factors.
The relative importance and interactions between these different antioxidants is a very complex question, with the various metabolites and enzyme systems having synergistic and interdependent effects on one another. The action of one antioxidant may therefore depend on the proper function of other members of the antioxidant system. The amount of protection provided by any one antioxidant will also depend on its concentration, its reactivity towards the particular reactive oxygen species being considered, and the status of the antioxidants with which it interacts.
Some compounds contribute to antioxidant defense by chelating transition metals and preventing them from catalyzing the production of free radicals in the cell. Particularly important is the ability to sequester iron, which is the function of iron-binding proteins such as transferrin and ferritin. Selenium and zinc are commonly referred to as antioxidant nutrients, but these chemical elements have no antioxidant action themselves and are instead required for the activity of some antioxidant enzymes, as is discussed below.
|Antioxidant metabolite||Solubility||Concentration in human serum (μM)||Concentration in liver tissue (μmol/kg)|
|Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)||Water||50 – 60||260 (human)|
|Lipoic acid||Water||0.1 – 0.7||4 – 5 (rat)|
|Uric acid||Water||200 – 400||1,600 (human)|
|Carotenes||Lipid||β-carotene: 0.5 – 1retinol (vitamin A): 1 – 3||5 (human, total carotenoids)|
|α-Tocopherol (vitamin E)||Lipid||10 – 40||50 (human)|
|Ubiquinol (coenzyme Q)||Lipid||5||200 (human)|
- Antioxidants are sometimes used as medication to treat brain injury, and may help prevent neurological (nerve) damage.
- “Antioxidants are also being investigated as possible treatments for neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,
- People who eat fruits and vegetables have a lower risk of heart disease and some neurological diseases, and there is evidence that some types of vegetables, and fruits in general, may lower risk against some cancers.
|Antioxidant compounds||Foods containing high levels of these antioxidants|
|Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)||Fresh Fruits and vegetables|
|Vitamin E (tocopherols, tocotrienols)||Vegetable oils|
|Polyphenolic antioxidants (resveratrol, flavonoids)||Tea, coffee, soy, fruit, olive oil, chocolate, cinnamon, oregano|
|Carotenoids (lycopene, carotenes, lutein)||Fruit, vegetables and eggs.|
Other super foods that are rich in antioxidants include:
- All berries
- Red grapes
- Alfalfa sprouts
We Recommend: 10 Formulas In One Chewable
The place to begin is with the definition of Phytonutrient (Phytochemical) from Wikipedia:
“Phytochemicals, chemical compounds that occur naturally in plants (phyto means “plant” in Greek). Some are responsible for color and other organoleptic properties, such as the deep purple of blueberries and the smell of garlic. The term is generally used to refer to those chemicals that may have biological significance, for example antioxidants, but are not established as essential nutrients. Scientists estimate that there may be as many as 10,000 different phytochemicals having the potential to affect diseases such as cancer, stroke or metabolic syndrome.”
While phytonutrients aren’t necessary to keep one alive, “they may help prevent disease and keep your body working properly.”
The Health Benefits of phytonutrients include:
2. Phyto-sterols (plant sterols),
3. Non-digestible (non-starch) carbohydrates such as tannins, pectin, cellulose, mucilage, etc.,
4. Natural acids,
5. Enzymes and lecithin.
Phyto-chemicals are plant chemicals that are neither vitamins nor minerals and yet may have
health enhancing effects.
Many of the phyto-chemicals are antioxidants and include carotenoids and flavinoids.
1. Lycopene – is a strong antioxidant and affords strong protection against certain types of free radicals.*
2. Co-Q10 – or ubiquinone is found in the mitochondria of the cells and has two functions.
a. Co-Q10 transports electrons in energy production*
b. Is also an antioxidant that protects against “free radicals”*
The heart, brain and muscles which have high levels of mitochondria may be most
affected by decreased levels of Co-Q10.* (from 10-In-One Chewable)
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
TOP 7 HOME REMEDIES FOR YELLOW TEETH
Top 7 Home Remedies for yellow Teeth: ~
1. Baking soda is one of the best ingredients that you can use to get rid of your yellow teeth. You can make a whitening mouthwash with baking soda by mixing two tablespoon of baking soda with one cup of cold water.
2. Strawberries contain good amount of vitamin C, which help in making your teeth whiter. Take a few strawberries and grind them to make a paste. Now use this paste to rub your teeth gently. If done twice daily for a few weeks, the yellow tinge on your teeth will vanish.
3. The bleaching property present in lemon can also be used to get rid of yellow teeth. In fact, gargling with lemon juice and scrubbing teeth with lemon peel is also one of the best ways to make your teeth white.
4. Apple is a kind of crunchy fruit that can scrub your teeth like a toothbrush and make your teeth look whiter than before.
5. Salt is one of the fundamental dental cleansing agents used since ages as it helps to replenish the lost mineral content of the teeth and help them to regain their whiteness. You can use common salt regularly each morning as a toothpowder instead of toothpaste.
6. You can also clean your teeth with fresh orange peel on regular basis in order to reduce the yellow tinge accumulated on your teeth.
7. Banana peel:
a- Brush your teeth as usual with a natural toothpaste or you can use the banana peel first and then brush. Use a ripe banana as it has the most potassium content in it. Peel from the bottom end as this is how monkeys peel their bananas and it will keep you from having all those loose threads.
b- Take a piece of the inside of the banana peel and gently rub around on your teeth for about 2 minutes. The amazing minerals in the peel like potassium, magnesium and manganese absorb into your teeth and whiten them.
c- Repeat the same procedure at night or before bedtime, to whiten teeth. Leaving the banana peel on longer is optional if you have stains that need to come off.
d- Do the banana peel routine twice daily to see teeth whiten.
How To Make Easy Homemade Sage and Sea Salt Toothpowder
www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/ sage-and-sea-salt-homemade-toot hpowder/Sage is a common ingredient in natural toothpaste due to its excellent antiseptic and antibacterial properties, and is known to treat oral infections, gingivitis and sore gums.
Like our page https://www.facebook.com/
Secret Recipes Revealed
Make something different for dinner tonight.
Get inside the hidden cookbooks of America’s favorite restaurants including Red Lobster, Olive Garden, TGI Friday, PF Chang and many more!
The secret recipes for your favorite restaurant dishes have now been revealed in this best-selling new cookbook.
Prepare dishes you know they’ll love and save money by easily making them at home.
For the full list of secret recipes – go to: America’s Restaurant Recipes
This post is to help support the costs in making the information shared through this site available in the future at no costs to all visitors.
Did you know that drinking water can help you to lose weight?
How water affect on losing weight?
- Find out on the link below:
www.healthyfoodhouse.com/ trying-to-lose-weight-drink-mor e-water-before-meals/
Like our page https://www.facebook.com/
Why Medicine Won’t Allow Cancer to Be Cured
by Dr. Mercola (reposted with permission)
Imagine a commercial plane crashed and there were some fatalities involved. You can be sure that would make the headline of every major newspaper. Well, we have the equivalent of 8-10 planes crashing EVERY DAY with everyone on board dying from cancer.
Nearly two million Americans are diagnosed with cancer every year—one person out of three will be hit with a cancer diagnosis at some time in their lives, in spite of the massive technological advances over the past half-century.
Western medicine is no closer to finding a “cancer cure,” while cancer has grown into a worldwide epidemic of staggering proportions. The statistics speak for themselves:
- In the early 1900s, one in 20 people developed cancer
- In the 1940s, one in 16 people developed cancer
- In the 1970s, it was one in 10
- Today, it’s one in three!
According to the CDC, about 1,660,290 (1.66 million) new cancer cases are expected to be diagnosed in 20131. If overall death rates are falling, why are incidence rates still on the rise? The answer is simple: the 40-year “war on cancer” has been a farce.
The cancer epidemic is a dream for Big Pharma, and their campaigns to silence cancer cures have been fierce, which is a tale well told in the documentary film featured above, Cancer: Forbidden Cures.
The Cancer Machine
Please understand that cancer is big business. The cancer industry is spending virtually nothing of its multi-billion dollar resources on effective prevention strategies, such as dietary guidelines, exercise and obesity education. Instead, it pours its money into treating cancer, not preventing or curing it.
Why would they shoot their cash cow? If they can keep the well-oiled Cancer Machine running, they will continue to make massive profits on chemotherapy drugs, radiotherapy, diagnostic procedures and surgeries.
The typical cancer patient spends $50,000 fighting the disease. Chemotherapy drugs are among the most expensive of all treatments, many ranging from $3,000 to $7,000 for a one-month supply.
If the cancer industry allows a cure, then their patient base goes away. It makes more sense to keep a steady stream of cancer patients alive, but sick and coming back for more. How did this societal monster come about?
The featured documentary is enormously informative. It details how the pharmaceutical industry partnered with the American Medical Association (AMA) in an ingenious plan to overtake the medical system in four swift, easy steps, back in the early 1900s. In a nutshell, it went something like this:
- International bankers that own the drug and chemical companies gained control over the medical education system over 100 years ago.
- They gave grants to the AMA and leading medical schools in exchange for seats on their board and the ability to control policy.
- Finally, they cleverly engineered their control of virtually every federal regulatory agency relating to the practice of medicine.
‘Don’t You DARE Cure Anyone!’
In spite of the enormous amounts of money funneled into cancer research today, two out of three cancer patients will be dead within five years after receiving all or part of the standard cancer treatment trinity—surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy. This is not too surprising when you consider that two of the three are carcinogenic themselves! One study estimated that chemotherapy benefits about one of every 20 people receiving it.
Over the last hundred years, a number of natural cancer treatments have been developed and used successfully to treat patients in the US and other countries. All have been vehemently discounted, silenced, and pushed under the rug by the medical monopoly, with physicians and researchers attacked, smeared, sent to prison, and professionally ruined for daring to defy the medical establishment.
To this day, with respect to credibility in medicine, “quack” is synonymous with “competition.”
In order to protect the medical monopoly, any viable natural treatment is met with massive opposition by the pharmaceutical and medical industries. Drug companies have no interest in natural agents that they cannot patent, because they interfere with their revenue stream. They will go—and have gone—to extreme measures to prevent the truth about effective natural treatments (competitive threats) from reaching the public.
The FDA is now, thanks to PDUFA, primarily funded by the drug companies and is complicit in this process. They restrict competition in the guise of protecting the public, when the reality is they are protecting the profits of the drug companies.
My Top 12 Cancer Prevention Strategies
There is so much you can do to lower your risk for cancer. But please don’t wait until you get the diagnosis—you have to take preventative steps NOW. It’s much easier to prevent cancer than to treat it, once it takes hold. I believe you can virtually eliminate your risk of cancer and chronic disease, and radically improve your chances of recovering from cancer if you currently have it, by following these relatively simple strategies.
- Food Preparation: Eat at least one-third of your food raw. Avoid frying or charbroiling; boil, poach or steam your foods instead. Consider adding cancer-fighting whole foods, herbs, spices and supplements to your diet, such as broccoli, curcumin and resveratrol. To learn more about how these anti-angiogenetic foods fight cancer, please see our previous article: “Dramatically Effective New Natural Way to Starve Cancer and Obesity.”
- Carbohydrates and Sugar: Reduce or eliminate processed foods,sugar/fructose and grain-based foods from your diet. This applies to whole unprocessed organic grains as well, as they tend to rapidly break down and drive up your insulin level. The evidence is quite clear that if you want to avoid cancer, or you currently have cancer, you absolutely MUST avoid all forms of sugar, especially fructose, which feeds cancer cells and promotes their growth. Make sure your total fructose intake is around 25 grams daily, including fruit.
- Protein and Fat: Consider reducing your protein levels to one gram per kilogram of lean body weight. It would be unusual for most adults to need more than 100 grams of protein and most likely close to half of that amount. Replace excess protein with high-quality fats, such as organic eggs from pastured hens, high-quality meats, avocados, and coconut oil.
- GMOs: Avoid genetically engineered foods as they are typically treated with herbicides such as Roundup (glyphosate), and likely to be carcinogenic. A French research team that has extensively studied Roundup concluded it’s toxic to human cells, and likely carcinogenic to humans. Choose fresh, organic, preferably locally grown foods.
- Animal-Based Omega-3 fats: Normalize your ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fats by taking a high-quality krill oil and reducing your intake of processed vegetable oils.
- Natural Probiotics: Optimizing your gut flora will reduce inflammation and strengthen your immune response. Researchers have found a microbe-dependent mechanism through which some cancers mount an inflammatory response that fuels their development and growth. They suggest that inhibiting inflammatory cytokines might slow cancer progression and improve the response to chemotherapy.
Adding naturally fermented food to your daily diet is an easy way to prevent cancer or speed recovery. You can always add a high-quality probiotic supplement as well, but naturally fermented foods are the best.
- Exercise: Exercise lowers insulin levels, which creates a low sugar environment that discourages the growth and spread of cancer cells. In a three-month study, exercise was found to alter immune cells into a more potent disease-fighting form in cancer survivors who had just completed chemotherapy.
Researchers and cancer organizations increasingly recommend making regular exercise a priority in order to reduce your risk of cancer, and help improve cancer outcomes. Research has also found evidence suggesting exercise can help trigger apoptosis (programmed cell death) in cancer cells. Ideally, your exercise program should include balance, strength, flexibility, high intensity interval training (HIIT). For help getting started, refer to my Peak Fitness Program.
- Vitamin D: There is scientific evidence you can decrease your risk of cancer by more than half simply by optimizing yourvitamin D levels with appropriate sun exposure. Your serum level should hold steady at 50-70 ng/ml, but if you are being treated for cancer, it should be closer to 80-90 ng/ml for optimal benefit.
If you take oral vitamin D and have cancer, it would be very prudent to monitor your vitamin D blood levels regularly, as well as supplementing your vitamin K2, as K2 deficiency is actually what produces the symptoms of vitamin D toxicity. To learn more, please see my previous article: “What You Need to Know About Vitamin K2, D and Calcium“.
- Sleep: Make sure you are getting enough restorative sleep. Poor sleep can interfere with your melatonin production, which is associated with an increased risk of insulin resistance and weight gain, both of which contribute to cancer’s virility.
- Exposure to Toxins: Reduce your exposure to environmental toxins like pesticides, herbicides, household chemical cleaners, synthetic air fresheners and toxic cosmetics.
- Exposure to Radiation: Limit your exposure and protect yourself from radiation produced by cell phones, towers, base stations, and Wi-Fi stations, as well as minimizing your exposure from radiation-based medical scans, including dental x-rays, CT scans, and mammograms.
- Stress Management: Stress from all causes is a major contributor to disease. Even the CDC states that 85 percent of disease is driven by emotional factors. It is likely that stress and unresolved emotional issues may be more important than the physical ones, so make sure this is addressed. My favorite tool for resolving emotional challenges is Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT).
What to Do If You Already Have Cancer
Without a doubt the most powerful essential strategy I know of to treat cancer is to starve the cells by depriving them of their food source. Unlike your body cells, which can burn carbs or fat for fuel, cancer cells have lost that metabolic flexibility. Dr. Otto Warburg was actually given a Nobel Prize over 75 years ago for figuring this out but virtually no oncologist actually uses this information.
You can review my recent interview with Dr. D’Agostino below for more details but integrating a ketogenic diet with hyperbaric oxygen therapy which is deadly to cancer cells debilitated by starving them of their fuel source would be the strategy I would recommend to my family if they were diagnosed with cancer.
Anti-Diabetes Potential Seen for Resveratrol
(reposted with permission from iHealthTube)
According to findings published in the British Journal of Nutrition, a daily 10 mg dose of resveratrol was associated with reductions in insulin resistance in type 2 diabetics.
“Whether resveratrol (or some of its future derivatives) becomes a useful tool in combating type 2 diabetes is difficult to tell, although the fact that recent studies (including the present study) have demonstrated that the efficacy of resveratrol at low doses might increase the possibility for its medicinal application,” report the researchers from the University of Pecs.
“On the other hand, the present study definitely suggests that resveratrol could become a useful tool in gaining a deeper understanding of the mechanisms underlying the development of insulin resistance and oxidative stress.”
Resveratrol, a powerful polyphenol and anti-fungal chemical, is often touted as the bioactive compound in grapes and red wine. Interest in the compound exploded in 2003 when research from David Sinclair and his team from Harvard reported that resveratrol was able to increase the lifespan of yeast cells. The research, published in Nature, was greeted with international media fanfare and ignited flames of hope for an anti-aging pill.
According to Sinclair’s findings, resveratrol could activate a gene called sirtuin1 (Sirt1—the yeast equivalent was Sirt2), which is also activated during calorie restriction in various species, including monkeys.
The Hungarian researchers recruited 19 type 2 diabetics and randomly assigned them to receive either resveratrol supplements (two five mg doses) or placebo for four weeks. Results showed that after four weeks of resveratrol supplementation, the participants showed a significant decrease in insulin resistance compared to the placebo group.
In terms of a potential mode of action for the polyphenol, the researchers noted that this may be related to its antioxidant activity, because oxidative stress is “widely accepted” as a key driver in the onset of insulin resistance.
There is also the possibility that resveratrol’s potential benefits are linked to its ability to activate Akt phosphorylation—an intracellular insulin-dependent protein that facilitates the uptake of glucose into cells.
“The present study shows for the first time that resveratrol improves insulin sensitivity in humans, which might be due to a resveratrol-induced decrease in oxidative stress that leads to more efficient insulin signaling via the Akt pathway,” the researchers concluded.
British Journal of Nutrition; Published online ahead of print.